So when Joel and I headed out for Montana we drove ALL NIGHT. And when the sun was coming up about 5:00 a.m. in Minnesota, there was rain and storm clouds in the west. And it created, literally, the most beautiful rainbow that I have ever seen. The colors were bright and brilliant and it lasted for over half an hour! It even created a much lighter second rainbow. It was a wonderful reminder of God's promises and His love for us.
When we arrived at our home, we were greeted by "jungle grass" and a VERY angry mother and father robin. They had thought they had the perfect home for their babies (on our kitchen window), but now there was constant noise and bother. Needless to say, these big babies left the nest within 48 hours of our arrival.
Now, let's get on to the heart of this post, shall we? Two days of painting was all it took for the tension levels to rise. Our 1st day in Montana, we were supposed to have our home phone hooked up, but they didn't come. 2nd day, no show. So by the 3rd day, mid-morning, Joel decided he better get them called. And since our house is nestled down in the badlands, cell service at our house is sketchy. So Joel typically goes WAY out back and stands on a wood pile with his head tipped a certain way so that he can get a signal.
Anyway, he left me painting and disappeared to the wood pile to find out what was going on. An hour later, I was (kindly) grumbling under my breath about Joel trying to get out of painting and what was he doing anyway? I headed out to see what the problem was. I called out to him and he just batted his arm at me to shut up. At this point, I looked over and saw the barn and thought, "Hmmm, I haven't been in there since we bought the place. I'll go check it out."
So I headed in that direction and just as I was approaching the door, I pulled up short. Calling upon my VAST wisdom and knowledge regarding the west and snakes, I conjured up some images from the movie Flicka 2. Remembering that she had entered the barn to pet the horses and a snake was curled up in there to escape the afternoon heat, I slowed my steps to a near tiptoe. My eyes began scanning and much to my HORROR.......THERE WAS A HUGE SNAKE SLITHERING ALONG IN THE BARN!!
I, of course, was not going to get any closer, but from what I could tell the markings looked like that of a rattlesnake. OH NO. My WORST nightmare come true!! I started REALLY yelling for Joel and he who had been on the phone with the phone company (that had HUGELY screwed up our orders) for over an hour and who also knew that if he so much as twitched his head the call would be dropped and he would have to start over, just motioned at me to once again shut up.
So I began doing the charade performance of my life. "There's a snake," I "whisper yelled," as I wiggled my arm in a snake motion. "It's a rattler," I "quietly shouted" and I shook my hand in a back and forth motion. "We need a gun," I softly cried, as I "held" up a shotgun and "pulled" the trigger. Joel continued to motion to me to shut up.
When he FINALLY got off the phone, he hurried over to check it out just as it slithered further into the barn. He got closer then I did. Close enough to see that it did NOT have a rattle. Glen stopped his work to rest for a while about then and I hurried over to tell him about the snake. And I got a very good education from someone that's lived his WHOLE life in Montana. Bull snakes in Montana have markings that look very similar to rattlesnakes. And bull snakes are good? They eat mice and even baby rattlesnakes! I guess, but I think I'll steer clear just the same.
Nonetheless, it was a good educational experience. (One I hope to not repeat, but sadly probably will.) The name of the game is caution, teaching your kids to pay attention, and just using common sense. And we will do ALL those things, but ABOVE all, I have to remember that it is God who keeps me and my family safe. It is God who gives us the breath of life. We could live our life in a bubble of fear and worry, but when God decides it's time for us to arrive Home, then we will.
He is sovereign and I trust Him.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
--Luke 12:25
No comments:
Post a Comment