So we prayed.....A LOT. We looked into available opportunities, all the while waiting for God's leading. Many positions were available, but we waited. Many looked like good opportunities, but we waited. Not applying, not interviewing, not doing anything. At times, (many times) it seemed crazy to sit and do nothing. It was frazzling not knowing how things would turn out. And often we wanted to start applying for anything and everything so that we might get a glimpse of what our future held. But God. He calmed us, gave us patience, and asked that we wait. So we did.
By mid-May, we were again looking at options on the BNSF website. And the timing, this time, felt right. So we began filling out online applications. Nervously clicking "submit" with a little prayer. And by mid-June, we received an email asking Joel for an orientation day and initial interview. The emotions flew up and down as the email was read. At first they soared over the excitement of moving forward and then as we read on, "Your orientation and interview in Miles City, MT are scheduled for....." and as we read those words our hearts sank. Why? Because we had already made 2 trips out with farm equipment and had 3 more scheduled before the move. How could we possibly make another trip for an interview? But God.
As we continued to read, "...scheduled for Tuesday, June 28th." I ran to the calendar to see if my mind was serving me correctly. Yes!! It was the trip that Joel was originally scheduled for with his Dad, but instead had our neighbor Tony with him on. And that Tuesday was the ONE day in the 4 day trip that it was ACTUALLY possible to drive to Miles City and complete the initial interviewing!!!! Amazing God!! Of course, He would have everything taken care of!! Why do we fret so?
I believe that God uses whatever means He chooses to encourage us, direct us, and affirm us in this life. Sometimes it's scripture (a lot of times) and sometimes it might be the unusual license plate with a message, sometimes a billboard, sometimes a handwritten note from someone thinking of us or the phone call where someone says something that resonates with what we're praying about, and sometimes, well, sometimes it might be a fortune cookie!!
The night before the trip Joel and I headed out for Chinese. We had a great evening chatting and sharing with each other. As the fortune cookies came, I laughingly reminded Joel about last fall and how God "spoke" in a fortune cookie and how unusual the message was and how I've never seen anything like that since. And then Joel cracked his open.
| This was taken as Joel and Tony pulled out of our driveway for that fateful trip! |
Our jaws dropped as we read it!! I have never seen a message that lists a specific day of the week. I'm not saying they don't exist. I'm just saying I've never seen anything like this. And it made us laugh. And it made us praise God. And I reminded Joel that get the job or no, God STILL sovereignly orchestrated this interview! And that alone is just pretty cool.
So as you know from my previous post, the trip out was not an easy one. satan likes to hinder (not stop, but hinder) God's plans whenever he can and so honestly I was not that surprised when Joel called to say they were broke down. Obviously Tuesday was going to be a big deal and satan didn't want him to make it. But Joel DID make it to the interview and it went well. Very well.
July 5th, Joel received a conditional offer from BNSF barring him passing the background check, physical, strength test, and drug test. The 25th, he received notice that he had passed all and was approved for the job. Now the amazing things. He spoke with his new supervisor on the phone this week and his supervisor was in awe. He said that from the time of a conditional offer until an employee is approved is usually 2 months and he has NEVER seen anyone fly through the pre-employment process as quickly as Joel did. But God.
The railroad operates 24 hours a day and so has three 8-hour shifts which are given out based on seniority. That was one thing we were concerned about, but gave to God. Neither Joel nor I was excited about the possibility of a 3rd shift job. But the position Joel got does not follow the rest of the positions rotations!! Joel's hours are going to be from 7-3!!! But God. He knew how important family time was to us and he knew what our desires were. And not only are the hours grand, but the pay and benefits are better then what we had in Illinois!
So Joel is starting August 8th. He's going to be a carman and he's going to be working on the railroad! He travels the tracks to cars that need repair, repairs them, and then returns to the yard. God continues to bless us amazingly! And we thank Him for His plan that is better then our own.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" --Jeremiah 29:11
No comments:
Post a Comment